If you’re transitioning to a plant-based diet, this is a great meat alternative to help you along the way! If you do it right, the Portobello mushrooms can (almost) look and smell like a steak. This is a great dish to make in the summer on the grill or in the wintertime on the stove.
Portobello Mushroom Steaks
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp black pepper
- 2 TBSP liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (minced)
- 1 TBSP lime juice
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2 small roma tomatoes, diced
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, liquid smoke, black pepper, garlic powder. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Place mushrooms face down in a shallow dish, and pour the sauce over top. Use a pastry brush to brush on all sides. Marinate on one side for 5 minutes, then flip to the other side for an additional 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare chimichurri by adding onion, lime juice, salt, diced avocado, and diced Roma tomatoes.
- Cook on grill or over medium heat on the stove. Cooking on each side for 3-4 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Take off heat and serve with avocado chimichurri.